Friday, December 31, 2010

Almost time to go!

I still can't believe that in 3 days, I'll be on my way to the Philippines. I've been looking forward to this since last March or so, and I can't believe that I'm ACTUALLY going to the Philippines! I figured that instead of trying to e-mail people while I'm there, I would start a blog instead. This way, you can see pictures and hear stories about everything I'm doing. If you have any questions or anything, feel free to e-mail (kprebble@gmail.com) or facebook me!

For those of you who still don't know exactly what I'll be doing, I'll be going to Manila, Philippines for 20 days. It isn't technically a "mission trip;" I'm getting credit for one of my teaching practicums. The trip is mostly Elementary Education majors (about 20 or 25 of us) and the rest (about 8 or 10) are Social Work majors. For three whole weeks, we will be working with a partner in an elementary classroom. We won't know what grade we'll have until we get there, which means that we can't really prepare anything ahead of time. For the first 2 weeks, we will basically just be observing and helping out wherever the teacher needs us. At this point, we'll mainly be working with students individually and in small groups. The third week we're there is when we will be getting observed, and that is when we will teach entire lessons. We won't be in charge of a whole day, but we will be team-teaching occasional lessons with our partners.

After school everyday, we'll get a chance to go work at an orphanage right up the hill from where we are staying. I'm so excited to just go play with the kids everyday and to get to love on them, because they need it! On the weekends, we'll do the tourist-y things and get to see Manila and other parts of the Philippines. Don't worry, I'll take lots of pictures. :)

Thank you so much for all of your support and prayers!

-Kristen


"Only be careful, and watch yourselves closely so that you do not forget the things your eyes have seen or let them fade from your heart as long as you live. Teach them to your children and to their children after them." (Deuteronomy 4:9)

No comments:

Post a Comment